Initial consultationAll psychotherapy starts with some initial consultation sessions in which we discuss your current problem and broader situation in detail and your reasons for coming. Relationships, social and work situations and past experiences including childhood will also be explored. You will be able to find out more about my approach to therapy and how it might help you. There is no commitment to on-going work at this point.
The initial three sessions represent an in-depth consultation and time for exploration. We can use these three sessions to explore the reasons for wanting to come for therapy and what would like to be achieved, with more questions than normal in order to get a sense of your childhood background and formative experiences. Ideally, these sessions would be scheduled weekly for three weeks in order to get a 'feel' if therapy is right for the individual.
There is no commitment during this period of meeting (so for example you may only choose to come for one or two sessions and leave it there and that is fine). If for whatever reason it feels that therapy will not be right, we can consider different options or other possible referrals if that is more appropriate.
Starting therapyIf you do decide to continue, together we would agree upon regular times and days on a weekly, on-going basis. The establishment of regularity of time and place is an important element within the therapy as it assists in creating a secure and containing structure, which is fundamental to the overall psychotherapeutic process.
PaymentThe initial consultation sessions are paid for at the end of each session via cheque or cash. Subsequently, sessions are paid for on a monthly basis at the end of the month and payment can be made via cash, cheque or bank transfer.
TermsOnce the initial consultation period is completed, then we agree on a therapeutic contract of our work together. My contract for working includes the following:
- Once we have agreed on session time during the week, this is 'your' session times. If for some reason you cannot make that particular session time during the week, I will do my best to accommodate another session time during the same week if it is possible (ideally with minimum week's notice given), but if that is not possible, you will be charged for the missed session.
- Obviously, I do not charge when I am away/not working. My standard breaks are the following: two weeks at Christmas/New Year, two weeks at Easter, three weeks in August and one week for each half-term in February, May and October. There may be the occasional day when I am not working due to a professional development commitment and for which I will endeavour to give as much notice as possible.
- I charge for sessions missed due to client's holidays when I am working.
- Therapy can be brought to a close at any time. However, I do ideally ask for us to work towards an agreed ending in order to allow time to think through and prepare for the ending in order to have the most optimum experience possible.
- These terms (e.g. charging for missed/cancelled sessions when I am working) are standard in the psychotherapy profession
Contact detailsFor a brief telephone conversation to find out more, call me on 07753 966091. You will most likely get through to the answering machine - please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can. All discussions will be treated in the strictest confidence.
My practice is centrally located in Cambridge between Mill Road and the train station. The address is 90 Mawson Road, Cambridge, CB1 2EA. My email address is [email protected]
To arrange an appointment, please email me via the contact page on this website or call 01223 354760 or 07753 966091.